Monday, December 30, 2013

ScRaBbLe CoAsTeRs!

Making Scrabble tile coasters was such an EASY project! Which maybe I shouldn't say, so I can keep giving these unique gifts to people! 

The materials are inexpensive for the most part, and not hard to come buy. 
Scrabble tiles (You can order complete sets from Hasbro!)
Super glue
Cork (I used thin rolled cork from a hardware store)
An Exacto knife or good pair of scissors
Inexpensive bristle or foam paintbrush
Modge Podge (I used the outdoor kind so it works for wet materials)

The first task is simply picking out your tiles, phrases, or words! I created a couple sizes of coaster, 4 by 4 and 5 by 5.
I ordered three full sets from Hasbro for about $12. 
After gluing the tiles carefully to the cork and letting them dry, I used a cheap paintbrush to apply the Modge Podge. Next time, I think I will try a foam brush because I had to work really hard to brush out the bristle lines. 
To be honest, I was so nervous when the Modge Podge was a bit white! But not to worry anymore, it dried perfectly clear! Phew! 
I made these for a few people! Each coaster shows a bit of each personality. I used the blanks as spaces or for letters that were missing, like the L in MALT! Oops!
These were such a BREEZE, and I've already had people tell me that I should make them for sale! Perhaps that will be a New Year's PROJECT! If I do start a side business, I'll let my ReAdErS know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment